Tuesday on PBS NewsHour, Condoleezza Rice was interviewed along with former New York City Department of Education Chancellor Joel Klein about a new report by the Council on Foreign Relations that examines the connections between education reform and national security. Both Rice & Klein are known for being supporters of the Arts so Jeffrey Brown took some time during the interview to ask for their opinion on the state of arts education in America. [SOURCE]
Monthly Archives: March 2012
The Artist/Teacher Institute (aTi), 37-year old professional development program for educators and artists in the performing, visual, literary and technology arts, is moving its southern New Jersey site to The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey in Galloway, NJ in cooperation with the Southern Regional Institute and Educational Technology Training Center, and the School of Arts and Humanities.
The move represents both a new beginning, as well as a homecoming — the venerable summer arts program that has reached more than 50,000 teachers, began in 1975 and was at Stockton State College as a residential program in the 1990s. Today, aTi continues to enable New Jersey teachers to take a variety of hands-on arts workshops and then apply their newfound knowledge and enthusiasm back in their own classrooms to impact students.
“We are very excited to be partnering with Stockton College,” said Jenifer Simon, Arts Horizons Director of the Artist/Teacher Institute. “Our partnership in this new location so close to Atlantic City provides us with state-of-the-art facilities and studios, and the ability to make this incredible program more accessible to teachers.”
Participants at aTi-Stockton, which begins Sunday, July 29 and runs through Friday, August 3, 2012, select one workshop for an intensive arts immersion experience with a master teaching artist while earning up to 40 hours of NJ Professional Development Credits. In addition to hands-on learning, aTi-Stockton provides evening studio time, opportunities for peer sharing, and optional lodging and meals.
The workshop offerings at aTi-Stockton College are:
• Advancing the Poem: Finding your Authentic Voice, Instructor: Peter Murphy
• Digital Photography, Instructor: Wendel White
• The Art and Craft of Glass Painting, Instructor: Ken Leap
• Graphic Design and Illustration for Print, Instructor: Michael McGarvey
• Oil painting: A Brush with Creativity, Instructor: Kit Sailer
• Printmaking: Hot ‘On and Off’ The Press, Instructor: Eileen Foti
• Theatre Remix, Instructor: Angela Kariotis
• World Music Percussion and Technology, Instructor: Vince Ector
• World Dance, Instructor: Marck “Flaco” Best