For over four decades, Arts Horizons is committed to making the performing, visual, literary and media arts and artistic expression equitable and accessible to diverse people of all ages and abilities. We believe that the arts are fundamental to a child’s education, stimulating learning, enriching the teaching process and providing lifelong learning.
Arts Horizons was founded in 1978 by John Devol, trumpet player, music educator and parent. John played in the orchestra of A Chorus Line for the entire 15-year run of the show and, as he sat in the pit night after night, he realized the importance of bringing quality music to children. He got together with fellow Broadway musicians and formed Festival Brass, a lively, interactive music assembly program that taught students about the brass family of instruments. In 1995 Festival of Music became Arts Horizons, a full-service arts- in-education organization. Now in our fourth decade, we reach more than 350,000 participants every year.
Our mission is to enhance the lives of people of all ages and abilities by creating equitable opportunities to engage in the arts.
Our vision is to transform lives through the power of the arts.
- EQUITABLE ACCESSIBILITY: We are committed to making the arts and artistic expression equitably accessible to people of all ages and abilities.
- MULTIPLE ART FORMS: We are committed to exploring multiple art forms, including music, visual arts, dance, theater, arts technology, creative writing and speaking.
- POWER OF ART: We believe in the power of the arts to enhance educational experiences.
- ARTISTS IN SOCIETY: We value the central role of artists and their work in our society.
- ARTISTIC GROWTH: We are committed to providing teaching artists with opportunities to grow and sustain their creative work.
- ART AS CAREER: We are committed to introducing young people to possible career paths in the arts.
- MUTUAL RESPECT: We value the expression of mutual respect among our staff, teaching artists and the communities we serve because we believe each is a resource to the other
To learn more about Arts Horizons, visit our website.